25 years service to
the Rugby League

Huddersfield held off last seasonís finalists, Leeds to progress into the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup despite having a man sent off.

21 year-old centre, Joe Wardle scored a first half try to help his side establish a two try lead but knew his fate after sending three punches to the head of Carl Ablett.

Tempers in this local derby flared early on as robust Huddersfield forward, Eorl Crabtree was tackled high by Rhinos stand-off, Danny McGuire.

Referee, Phil Bentham had a gentle word with Rhinos skipper, Kevin Sinfield before allowing Danny Brough to hit an early penalty goal.

Former Rhino, Shaun Lunt split his former side into two to score the opening with a clever dart from dummy half after Zak Hardaker made a mess of a last tackle kick.

Huddersfield were just inches away from scoring through Crabtree but instead Leeds made a fantastic break to set Kallum Watkins up on the next tackle.

Paul Andersonís charges showed no sign of slowing down the tempo and re-instated a healthy eight point lead through Joe Wardle after a scintillating Jermaine McGilvary break.

Leroy Cudjoe then made a similar break down the same winger after a one on one ball steal turned defence into attack. Video referee, Steve Ganson dismissed any concerns the near-side touch judge but Brough missed a second kick at goal.

Danny McGuire thought he had struck back after appearing to regather a ball he dropped in the air but Ganson disagreed and ruled a 20 metre restart for a knock-on.

Ganson was made to continue his hard work in the video box right until half-time disallowing a Jamie Cording effort just sixty seconds before the hooter after a try saving tackle from Zak Hardaker.

And after tempers rose twice in quick succession, Brough was quick to calm things down with a second penalty goal taking the score to 18-4.

The Giants job was made much harder when Joe Wardle was sent off for throwing punches to the head of Carl Ablett with under 20 minutes to play.

Kallum Watkins took advantage to score his second of the afternoon but with ten minutes to play, and as many points required, it was going to be difficult.

Their fate was confirmed three minutes from time as Leroy Cudjoe

Huddersfield: Grix, McGilvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, Brough, Robinson, Crabtree, Lunt, Kopczak, Ferres, Chan, Ferguson.
Replacements: Faiumu, Patrick, Ta,ai, Cording.

T: Cudjoe 2, Lunt, Wardle
G: Brough 4/7

Leeds: Hardaker, Watkins, Ablett, Moon, Hall, McGuire, Sinfield, Leuluai, Burrow, Peacock, Delaney, Mitch Achurch, Jones-Buchanan.
Replacements: McShane, Bailey, Kirke, Clarkson.

T: Watkins 2
G: Sinfield 0/2

Referee: Phil Bentham
Video Referee: Steve Ganson

facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
pinterest sharing button
email sharing button
sharethis sharing button

Posted by RLFANS Correspondent on Sat 11th May 2013 4:24 PM | Views : 6206 | Replies : 0 | BACK TO STORIES